Use the links below to learn more about the Chair Chi Training Program for aged care professionals, carers and volunteers:
Chair Chi exercise sessions are an excellent way of learning how to calm the mind and energise the body while seated on a chair. They require little space and help to improve flexibility, co-ordination, and circulation. They are ideal for those who are less physically capable of practicing standing or moving exercises, who are in wheel chairs, or whose capacity for physical movement is limited in any way. They are also highly adaptable and beneficial for residents whose cognitive capacity is impaired.
Chair Chi exercises and activities are adapted from Tai Chi, which is an ancient Chinese health and self defence system. It includes Chi Kung (energy work), and selected exercises from the Tai Chi form that are adapted so they can be done while sitting on a chair. The easy-to-learn, gentle exercises include correct breathing, relaxing the body, calming the mind, developing internal energy, circulating chi and practical Yin Yang philosophy (non-religious) – all of which are essential to Tai Chi.
Key Characteristics of the Program
- Highly interactive
- Covers physical, emotional, psychological and social aspects
- Key theoretical concepts
- Practical activities and skills
- Specific skills for specific situations
- Program content is broadly applicable for use both personally and with clients/family members
- Flexible – each skill taught can be used with either groups or individuals as part of a set of exercises or a single activity for a particular purpose
- All exercises are easily incorporated in day to day activities or work practices
- Exercises taught are highly adaptable for disability – physical or cognitive impairment
- Maximum group size of 14 enables personalised instruction
- Reflective practice and action learning
- Comprehensive handouts (Levels One and Two)
- Complete program manual (Level Three)
Complete Program Structure
The complete training program incorporates three levels of competency and complexity. [Click on diagram for larger image]
At the end of Level One participants will be able to deliver a basic Chair Chi session.
Levels Two and Three deepen the learning, incorporating further theory and additional exercises.
At the end of Level Three participants will be able to deliver a complete Chair Chi program, drawing on and customizing a wide range of exercises applicable to their client(s).
After completing all three levels of the training program, participants may also (if they wish to do so) apply for Certified Chair Chi Teacher status.
Certified Chair Chi Teacher Status
After completing all three levels of the Chair Chi Training Program, participants have the opportunity to apply for Certified Chair Chi Teacher status. More detailed information about certification and the requirements will be provided to all participants during the Chair Chi Training program.
- After completing Level 3 of the Chair Chi Training Program, deliver 5 Chair Chi sessions successfully for groups or individuals
- Submit a simple report (form/template will be provided), including details of the sessions delivered and feedback from participants or from observers if participants have limited cognitive capacity
- On receipt of this documentation, an applicant will be informed within 30 days whether certification is approved or whether further assessment/information is required
- Approved Certified Chair Chi Teacher Status is valid for two years